Saturday, September 6, 2008

Leaving for Senegal!

So tomorrow (really today at this point) I leave for Dakar. I can't believe it's happening, and not in that "OMFG, I can't believe it's here, AYYEEEEEEEE!!!!!!," but in a way that I expect to wake up tomorrow and sit around and watch tv and maybe go to the grocery store like i've done so many other days this summer. 

Maybe it will hit me when I'm in the car on the way to JFK, at the gate seeing my group, or mid flight. But when it hits me, it's gonna hit me like a big yellow school bus. 

I am really apprehensive about the trip even though I'm trying to stay positive. 
I figure, if I'm not expecting much, then I won't be disappointed, right? And not in a pessimistic way, just more realistic one perhaps. 
So here are my hopes for Study abroad.
1. Get a little better at French. 

Honestly, that's it. Even if i screw up 2 of my classes abroad, i'll still be covered credit wise, so I'm hoping to just muddle through 4 of them, and hopefully that will be enough

As per all of the Madame Solberg classes I've taken I think it would be unfair to ignore her suggestions of coping mechanisms, so here are my two
1. Find a public pool and go swimming regularly
2. Try to go kayaking twice

I've heard of a few public pools in Dakar, but I have no idea how difficult they will be to get to, or if they will be very expensive.
I've also heard of some kayaking that can be done (Dakar is a coast town after all), and after this summer I've really taken a liking to it.


Like I said, i can't believe it's all happening tomorrow, I'm expecting that it's more likely to go to the Delaware than Dakar tomorrow!


No comments: