Monday, February 16, 2009

It’s the final countdown

There now remains only two more weeks in Senegal. I can’t believe that the end is so near. In very un-Senegalese fashion I have many things to get done before I leave. I have my ICRP report (10 pages in French), souvenir shopping, packing, and a trip to Toubab Diallo. Ok, actually that’s not that much at all, but having been in Senegal for the last 5 months means that I take things at an even more relaxed pace than usual. Everything seems like it can be put off to the next day, which is now no longer true.

Of course I have mixed feelings about going. I wish I could stay in Senegal longer, but I am done with living with a host family and eating Senegalese food all the time (there is a reason that Senegalese restaurants are not popular in the States.) Many of the things that are important to me here in Senegal are the relationships I have with people. It’s hard to ever imagine coming back to Senegal, mostly because at this point in my life I can’t imagine working in a foreign aid type post, which is close to the only type of job for foreigners in Senegal. Typical of most study abroad students, the majority of my friends are other foreigners. By the time I would have a chance to come back to Senegal, nearly all the people I would want to visit would be gone. I am thankful for the host family situation though. I absolutely my internationally known “husband,” 2 year old Butterball. I also love having a younger brother to tease and lightly abuse- Ahmed. I can’t imagine what kind of mess I’ll be when I say goodbye.  I am excited to get back to a place where a BLT isn’t an epic search, I can cook whatever I would like, and wash and dry my clothes in just two hours, all by machine. Oh, and most importantly, make mashed potatoes the right way (they add SUGAR and powdered milk here, ewww.) Well, I concede that perhaps what is most important is that I get so see my family and friends again. For all the great relationships I’ve made here I still very much miss my family, and friends back in the states. I don’t know where the next two weeks will bring me exactly so, once again, sorry for the lack of updates, I’ll do what I can. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Anna - I spent almost 3 years in the mid-90s in Mauritania/Senegal with United Nations Volunteers (similar to our Peace Corps). I have very fond memories of Dakar. Back then, the coastal waters were still clean and we'd often go swimming in the ocean. And Goree was of course wonderful. Reading your blog transported me back to those carefree days.
Now that I am married and have a daughter, I am paying a lot more attention to educational stuff. I find it interesting that there's a Montessori school in Dakar, as the country is mostly francophone. How big is ABMD?
Regards, Kim (in Chapel Hill, NC)