This list has been on my mind for approximately 5 and 1/2 months.
Foods I miss
- Celery sticks with peanut butter
- PB and J sandwich
- Ruffles potato chips
- Mashed potatoes
- Stir fried cashew pineapple and chicken
- Ham sandwich
- Cinnamon rolls
- Milkshakes/ Smoothies
- Hash browns
- Sugar cookies
- Banana bread
- Pot stickers
- Salad- walnut cherry vinaigrette cucumbers oooo.... or a citrus salad, or really any type of salad
- Real pasta
- Tostitos and salsa and guacamole
- White grape salad
- Raspberries and berries in general
- Baby carrots (raw!)
- Chicken Breast
- Yoghurt/ Cucumber Tubule Pilaf
- Mac and cheese and broccoli
- Orange Juice
- Donuts from Abmas Farm
- Cheese- esp mozarella with some tomato and oil and vinegar
- Stir fry/ Fried Rice from bamboo house or Rice Kitchen
- Brother's Pizza
- Fruit other than apples, bananas and oranges.
While not specific, I'm also looking forward to not having more than one starch at a meal ex. bread with mashed potatoes, or using bread to eat pasta.
I'm also looking forward to the general variety of the American diet. I can't say that I've had more than 20 different meals while being in Senegal, 90% of which involved fish, rice or fish and rice. Ooooo, cooked onions, I'm done with that for a while as well.
Mom and Dad, please have nearly no food at home when I get back. I can't wait to go grocery shopping
Foods I will miss approximately 3 weeks after getting back. I will think about preparing them and then promptly not care. Maybe I'll even try to prepare them.
2. Yassa Poulet
3. Lott (Apparently Ladyfish in the states)
Foods I will miss very quickly
1. Sugar peanuts sold on the side of the street for about a nickel
2. Tempo- A really terrible alternative to Oreos, but they only cost 25 cents for a whole roll
3. Thaikry- A yoghurt type things with millet balls in it. It has saved me after many a nasty meal
4. Those chili flavored chips they sell at the gas station- so good
5. Lollipops that only cost 5 cents
6. Beignets- (really just donuts, but they are so good)
7. Nems- senegal's answer to eggrolls.
8. Chawarma- (ok there are places in Kalamazoo and Ridgewood for it, BUT not at the awesome cost of 2 dollars. though you probably don't get diarrhea with it either)
9. Peanut Brittle- again, available in the states, but not for only a nickel!
I might post a list tomorrow, but it depends how lazy I get. Hope I made you all hungry!