Monday, February 23, 2009

List of the Day- Food

So this last week is filled with many thoughts. I'm going for a list of day of my most occupying thoughts, but I make no promises that I'll actually follow through on it.

This list has been on my mind for approximately 5 and 1/2 months. 

Foods I miss

  1. Celery sticks with peanut butter
  2. PB and J sandwich
  3. Ruffles potato chips
  4. Mashed potatoes
  5. Peas
  6. Stir fried cashew pineapple and chicken
  7. Ham sandwich
  8. Cinnamon rolls
  9. Cereal
  10. Milk
  11. Strawberries
  12. Milkshakes/ Smoothies
  13. Pizza
  14. Hash browns
  15. Oreos
  16. Sugar cookies
  17. Banana bread
  18. Pot stickers
  19. Salad- walnut cherry vinaigrette cucumbers oooo.... or a citrus salad, or really any type of salad
  20. Real pasta
  21. Granola
  22. Tostitos and salsa and guacamole
  23. White grape salad
  24. Raspberries and berries in general
  25. Baby carrots (raw!)
  26. Chicken Breast
  27. Yoghurt/ Cucumber Tubule Pilaf
  28. Mac and cheese and broccoli
  29. BLTs
  30. Sorbet
  31. Orange Juice
  32. Donuts from Abmas Farm
  33.  Cheese- esp mozarella with some tomato and oil and vinegar 
  34. Stir fry/ Fried Rice from bamboo house or Rice Kitchen
  35. Brother's Pizza
  36. Fruit other than apples, bananas and oranges. 
While not specific, I'm also looking forward to not having more than one starch at a meal ex. bread with mashed potatoes, or using bread to eat pasta.
I'm also looking forward to the general variety of the American diet. I can't say that I've had more than 20 different meals while being in Senegal, 90% of which involved fish, rice or fish and rice. Ooooo, cooked onions, I'm done with that for a while as well. 
Mom and Dad, please have nearly no food at home when I get back. I can't wait to go grocery shopping

Foods I will miss approximately 3 weeks after getting back. I will think about preparing them and then promptly not care. Maybe I'll even try to prepare them.
1. Ceebujen
2. Yassa Poulet
3. Lott (Apparently Ladyfish in the states)

Foods I will miss very quickly
1. Sugar peanuts sold on the side of the street for about a nickel
2. Tempo- A really terrible alternative to Oreos, but they only cost 25 cents for a whole roll
3. Thaikry-  A yoghurt type things with millet balls in it. It has saved me after many a nasty meal
4. Those chili flavored chips they sell at the gas station- so good
5. Lollipops that only cost 5 cents
6. Beignets- (really just donuts, but they are so good)
7. Nems- senegal's answer to eggrolls. 
8. Chawarma- (ok there are places in Kalamazoo and Ridgewood for it, BUT not at the awesome cost of 2 dollars. though you probably don't get diarrhea with it either)
9. Peanut Brittle- again, available in the states, but not for only a nickel! 

I might post a list tomorrow, but it depends how lazy I get. Hope I made you all hungry!

1 comment:

Anonymous? said...

That DID make me hungry!